A Five Variable Refined Plate Theory For Thermal Buckling Analysis Uniform And Nonuniform Of Cross-Ply Laminated Plates
This research is devoted to investigating the thermal buckling analysis behaviour of laminated composite plates subjected to uniform and non-uniform temperature fields by applying an analytical model based on a refined plate theory (RPT) with five unknown independent variables. The theory accounts for the parabolic distribution of the transverse shear strains through the plate thickness and satisfies the zero-traction boundary condition on the surface without using shear correction factors; hence a shear correction factor is not required. The governing differential equations and associated boundary conditions are derived by using the virtual work principle and solved via Navier-type analytical procedure to obtain critical buckling temperature. Results are presented for: uniform and linear cross-ply lamination with symmetry and antisymmetric stacking, simply supported boundary condition, different aspect ratio (a/b), various orthogonality ratio (E1/E2), varying ratios of coefficient of uniform and linear thermal expansion (α2⁄α1), uniform and linearly varying temperature thickness ratio (a/h) and numbers of layers on thermal buckling of the laminated plate. It can be concluded that this theory gives good results compared to other theories.
Article received: 29/6/2021
Article accepted: 22/8/2021
• Chen, W. J., Lin, P. D., and Chen, L., W., 1991. Thermal buckling behavior of thick composite laminated plates under nonuniform temperature distribution, Computers and Structures, 41(4), pp. 637-645. DOI: 10.1016/0045-7949(91)90176-M
• Shi, S. H., Hayashi, Y., Petralia, R. S., Zaman, S. H., Wenthold, R. J., Svoboda, K., and Malino W, R., 1999. Thermal post-buckling of composite plates using the finite element modal coordinate method, Journal of Thermal Stresses, 22(6), pp. 595-614, DOI: 10.1080/0149 57399280779
• Mansour, M., Mohieddin, Ghomshei, and Amin, Mahmoudi, 2010. Thermal buckling analysis of cross-ply laminated rectangular plates under nonuniform temperature distribution: A differential quadrature approach, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, 24(12), pp. 2519-2527, DOI: 10.1007/s12206-010-0918y
• Le-Chung, Shiau, Shih-Yao Kuo, and Cheng-Yuan, Chen, 2010. Thermal buckling behavior of composite laminated plates. Composite Structures, 92(2), pp. 508-514. DOI: 10.1016/j.com pstruct.2009.08.035.
• Jameel, A. N., Sadiq, I. A. and Nsaif, Hasanain, I., 2012. Buckling Analysis of Composite Plates under Thermal and Mechanical Loading, Journal of Engineering, 18, November, pp. 1365–90.
• Bourada, M., Tounsi, A., Houari, M. S. A., and Bedia, E. A. A., 2012. A new four-variable refined plate theory for thermal buckling analysis of functionally graded sandwich plates, Journal of Sandwich Structures and Materials, 14(1), pp. 5-33, DOI: 10.1177%2F1099636211426386
• Fazzolari, F. A., Banerjee, J. R., and Boscolo, M., 2013. Buckling of composite plate assemblies using higher order shear deformation theory—An exact method of solution, Thin-Walled Structures, 71, pp 18-34, DOI: open access.city.ac.UK/id/Eprint/14990.
• Fazzolari, F. A., and E., Carrera, 2014. Thermal Stability of FGM Sandwich Plates Under Various Through-the-Thickness Temperature Distributions, Journal of Thermal Stresses, 37(12), pp. 1449-1481, DOI: 10.1080/01495739.2014.937251
• Cetkovic, M., 2016. Thermal buckling of laminated composite plates using layerwise displacement model, Composite Structures,142, pp. 238–253. DOI: 10.1016/j.compstruct.2016.01.082
• Xing, Y., and Wang, Z., 2017. Closed form solutions for thermal buckling of functionally graded rectangular thin plates, Applied Sciences, 7(12), pp. 1256, DOI: 10.3390/ app7121256
• Vescovini, R. et al., 2017. Thermal buckling response of laminated and sandwich plates using refined 2-D models, Composite Structures, 176, pp. 313–328. DOI: 10.1016/j.compstruct.2017.05.021.
• Sadiq, I. A., and Majeed, W., 2019. Thermal buckling of angle-ply laminated plates using new displacement function, Journal of Engineering, 25(12), pp. 96–113. DOI: 10.31026/j.eng .2019.12.08.
• Narayan, D., A., M, G., B, P. and M., H., 2019. Investigation of thermo-elastic buckling of variable stiffness laminated composite shells using finite element approach based on higher-order theory. Composite Structures, 211, pp. 24–40. DOI: 10.1016/j.compstruct.2018.12.012
• Emmanuel, Nicholas, P., Dharmaraja, C., Sathya Sofia, A., and Vasudevan, D., 2019. Optimization of laminated composite plates subjected to nonuniform thermal loads, Polymers and Polymer Composites,27(6), pp. 314-322, DOI: 10.1177%2F0967391119846242
• Balakrishna, Adhhikari, and B., N., Singh, 2020. Buckling characteristics of laminated functionally graded CNT-reinforced composite plate under nonuniform uniaxial and biaxial in-plane edge loads, International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics, 20(2), pp. 2050022, DOI: 10.1142/S0219455420500224
• Kim, S.E., Thai, H.T., and Lee, J., 2009. A two variable refined plate theory for laminated composite plates, Composite Structures, 89( 2), pp.197–205, DOI.:10.1016/j.compstruct. 2008.07.017
• Reddy, J. N., 2003. Mechanics of Laminated Composite Plates and Shells, Mechanics of Laminated Composite Plates and Shells. DOI: 10.1201/b12409.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Journal of Engineering
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.