Performance Evaluation the Turbidity Removal Efficiency of AL-Muthana Water Treatment Plant
Turbidity is a visual property of water that expresses the amount of suspended substances in the water. Its presence in quantities more significant than the permissible limit makes the water undrinkable and reduces the effectiveness of disinfectants in treating pathogens. On this basis, turbidity is used as a basic indicator for measuring water quality. This study aims to evaluate the removal efficiency of AL- Muthanna WTP. Water turbidity was used as a basic parameter in the evaluation, using performance improvement evaluation and data from previous years (2016 to 2020). The average raw water turbidity was 26.7 NTU, with a minimum of 14 NTU, with a maximum of 48 NTU. Water turbidity value for 95% of settling daily reading data was (13.7) NTU which is larger than the goal value (10) NTU, which achieves (51.2) % of the optimum goal. In comparison, the water turbidity value for 95% of daily reading data of water filtered was (6.90) NTU which is larger than the goal value (5) NTU, which achieves (68.8) % of the optimum goal. The removal efficiency for previous years (2016 to 2020) was (78.5, 76, 73.5, 72, 68)%, respectively, within acceptable limits.
Article received: 21 / 11/ 2021
Article accepted: 23 /12/ 2021
• Abbas, Sabreen Hayder, Basim Hussein Khudair, and Mahdi Shanshal Jaafar. 2019. River Water Salinity Impact on Drinking Water Treatment Plant Performance Using Artificial Neural Network, Journal of Engineering 25(8):149–59, DOI: 10.31026/j.eng.2019.08.10.
• Absar Ahmed Khan1, Syed Khursheed Ahmad2, and 1M.Tech. 2018. PERFORMANCE EVALUATION OF WATER TREATMENT PLANT AT NANGLOI, NEW DELHI: A CASE STUDY. International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology 07(08):49–60. DOI: 10.15623/ijret.2018.0708006.
• Abd Nasier, Mohammad, and Khalid Adel Abdulrazzaq, 2021. Conventional Water Treatment Plant, Principles, and Important Factors Influence on the Efficiency, Design Engineering 16009–27.
• Bârjoveanu, George, Carmen Teodosiu, Andreea Florina Gîlcă, Ioana Roman, and Silvia Fiore. 2019. Environmental Performance Evaluation of a Drinking Water Treatment Plant: A Life Cycle Assessment Perspective, Environmental Engineering and Management Journal 18(2):513–22. DOI: 10.30638/eemj.2019.048.
• Chang, E. E., Peng Chi Chiang, Shu Mei Huang, and Yi Li Lin. 2007. Development and Implementation of Performance Evaluation System for a Water Treatment Plant: Case Study of Taipei Water Treatment Plant, Practice Periodical of Hazardous, Toxic, and Radioactive Waste Management 11(1):36–47. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)1090-025X(2007)11:1(36).
• Choi, S., Yun, Z., Yoon, J., Kim, J., Hong, S., and Lee, Y., 2002. Performance evaluation program of water treatment plant in Korea. Water Science and Technology: Water Supply, 2(5-6), 143-148.
• García-Ávila, Fernando, César Zhindón-Arévalo, Robert Álvarez- Ochoa, Silvana Donoso-Moscoso, María D. Tonon-Ordoñez, and Lisveth Flores del Pino, 2020. Optimization of Water Use in a Rapid Filtration System: A Case Study, Water-Energy Nexus 3:1–10. DOI: 10.1016/j.wen.2020.03.005.
• Hassan, Fikrat M., and Ansam R. Mahmood, 2018. Evaluate the Efficiency of Drinking Water Treatment Plants in Baghdad City – Iraq, Journal of Applied & Environmental Microbiology 6(1):1–9. DOI: 10.12691/jaem-6-1-1.
• Issa, Hayder, 2017. Evaluation of Water Quality and Performance for a Water Treatment Plant: Khanaqin City as a Case Study, Journal of Garmian University 3 (Khanaqine Conference):802–21. DOI: 10.24271/garmian.64.
• Kiggundu, Nicholas, Sam Cherotich, Noble Banadda, Isa Kabenge, and David Ogaram, 2016. Impact of Daily and Seasonal Variation of Raw Water Quality on Treatability: A Case of Gaba Complex, Global Journal of Engineering Science and Research Management 3(2):20–31.
• Mahmoud, H. M., Mohamed, E. A., Khalil, M. H., and Mahgoub, M. S., 2016. Comprehensive performance assessment of the potable water treatment plants in El Fayoum governorate, Egypt, Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Biological and Chemical Sciences, 7(5), 2189-2213.
• Ojok, Walter, John Wasswa, and Emmanuel Ntambi, 2017. Assessment of Seasonal Variation in Water Quality in River Rwizi Using Multivariate Statistical Techniques, Mbarara Municipality, Uganda, Journal of Water Resource and Protection 09(01):83–97. DOI: 10.4236/jwarp.2017.91007.
• Omran, Abdelnaser, 2011. Factors Influencing Water Treatment Management Performance in Malaysia: A Case Study in Pulau Pinang, Annals of Faculty Engineering Hunedoara-International Journal of Engineering 10(1):53–62.
• Mahmood, Rand Shakir, and Nawar O. A. Al-Musawi, 2020. Evaluating Electrocoagulation Process for Water Treatment Efficiency Using Response Surface Methodology, Journal of Engineering 26(9):11–23. DOI: 10.31026/j.eng.2020.09.02.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 مجلة الهندسة
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.