Extraction of Manganese Element from Electric Arc Furnace Steel Slag (EAFS) by Liquid-liquid extraction (LLE) method
Keywords:Liquid-liquid Extraction, Electric Arc Furnace Steel Slag, Mn element.
This research investigates manganese (Mn) extraction from Electric Arc Furnace Steel Slag (EAFS) by using the Liquid-liquid extraction (LLE) method. The chemical analysis was done on the slag using X-ray fluorescence, X-ray diffraction, and atomic absorption spectroscopy. This work consisted of two parts: the first was an extensive study of the effect of variables that can affect the leaching process rate for Mn element from slag (reaction time, nitric acid concentration, solid to liquid ratio, and stirring speed), and the second part evaluates the extraction of Mn element from leached solution. The results showed the possibility of leaching 83.5 % of Mn element from the slag at a temperature of 25°C, nitric acid concentration 2 M, time 90 min, S / L ratio 1/100, and stirring speed 700 rpm. 94.7% extraction of Mn was accomplished from nitric acid solutions by using Octyl Pyro Phosphoric Acid (OPPA) in kerosene at contact time for 12 min, 50%OPPA -kerosene, stirring speed 900 rpm, and organic to the aqueous phase (O/A) of 4/1. Kerosene was the most important diluting agent in extracting Mn, compared to benzene and toluene.
Article received: 16/3/2022
Article accepted: 25/4/2022
Article published: 1/6/ 2022
• Borovsky T., Kijac J., Buľko B., Domovec M., and Havran J., 2012. The Influence Of Slag Composition On The Distribution Of Manganese Between Slag and Metal In The Electric Arc Furnace, Acta Metallurgica Slovaca, Vol. 18, No.1, p. 28-33.
• Chang H., Azwan W., and Ayub S., 2016. Extraction Behaviour of Cu2+ Ions with Used Cooking Oil-Based Organic Solvent, International Proceedings of Chemical, Biological and Environmental Engineering, Vol. 96.
• Chunlei M., Xianghai G., and Peng B., 2014. Solvent Extraction of Titanium (IV) with Organophosphorus Extractant from Chloride Solutions, Asian Journal of Chemistry, Vol. 26, No. 8, pp. 2277-2284.
• Dongchan L., Yafei G., Tianlong D., Yu-Wei C., and Nelson B., 2014. Solvent Extraction of Tellurium from Chloride Solutions Using Tri-n-butyl Phosphate: Conditions and Thermodynamic Data, Hindawi, The Scientific World Journal, Vol. 2014, pp1-6, Mar.
• El-Didamony H., Ali M. M., Awwad N. S., Fawzy M. M., and Attallah M. F., 2012. Treatment of phosphogypsum waste using suitable organic Extractants, Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, Springer, Vol.291, pp. 907–914.
• El-Ashtoukhy E.Z., and Fouad Y.O., 2014. Liquid-liquid extraction of methylene blue dye from aqueous solutions using sodium dodecylbenzenesulfonate as an extractant, Alexandria Engineering Journal, pp.1-5, November.
• Gunatilake S. K., 2003. Methods of Removing Heavy Metals from Industrial Wastewater, Journal of Multidisciplinary Engineering Science Studies (JMESS), Vol. 1, pp12-18, November.
• Jung S.M., 2003: ISIJ International, Vol.43, No.2, p. 216-223.
• Muna K. Abbass, Moayyed G. Jalhoom, and Aya M. Kadhim, 2020. Leaching The Rare Earth Elements From The Iraqi Phosphate Ore”, Test Engineering and Management, pp. 21951 – 21959, July.
• Mohd S. Md Zahar, Faradiella K., and Siti M., 2015. Manganese Removal from Aqueous Solution by Steel Slag: Kinetic and Equilibrium Studies, International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol.1, No. 5, p. 20-29.
• Muharrem I., and Kaplan I. O., 2019. Heavy Metal Removal Techniques Using Response Surface Methodology: Water/Wastewater Treatment, August.
• Marouane A., Fatima A., Latifa B., and Mehdi N., 2019. Hydrochloric Acid Leaching Study of Rare Earth Elements from Moroccan Phosphate, Hindawi, Journal of Chemistry, pp. 1-10, August.
• Meshram P., Lalit B., Prakash U., and Banshi P., Abhilash, 2017. Organic acid leaching of base metals from copper granulated slag and evaluation of mechanism, Canadian Metallurgical Quarterly 56, No. 2, pp. 168-178.
• Mohd J. J., Mohd S. Z., Intan S. A., and Nik N. S., 2019 Extraction and Stripping Behaviour Study on Gold Recovery from Printed Circuit Board, Earth and Environmental Science, Vol. 268, pp.1-8, July.
• Marouane A., Fatima A., Latifa B., and Mehdi N., 2021. Optimization of Nitric Acid Leaching of Rare Earth Elements From Moroccan Natural Phosphate, International Journal of Chemistry; Vol. 13, No. 1.
• Tsakiridis P.E., Papadimitrou G.D., Tsivilis S., andKoroneos C., 2008. Utilization of Steel Slag for Portland Cement Clinker Production”, Journal of Hazardous Materials, Vol. 152, pp. 805-811.
• Yuhong W., Shenglong J., Yan L., and Haifeng S., 2017. Hydrometallurgical Process and Kinetics of Leaching Manganese from Semi-Oxidized Manganese Ores with Sucrose, Minerals, Vol. 7, No. 27.
• Yusuf M., Chuah L. A., Mohammed M. A., and Shitu A., 2013. Investigations of Nickel (II) removal from Aqueous Effluents using Electric Arc Furnace Slag, Research Journal of Chemical Sciences, Vol. 3, No.12, p. 29-37.
How to Cite
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.